Thursday, 10 April 2008

Most Likely to Be Asked for Directions

While waiting for the train last night, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a well-dressed woman making a beeline for me. Turns out the Chinese tourist wanted to know which is the nearest station to reach Geylang. When we got onto the same train carriage, she even asked for directions to a steamboat restaurant in Geylang - I didn't know this but advised her to seek help from the MRT station staff.

Coincidentally, while I was walking towards my office yesterday morning, a woman stopped me to ask for directions to Hotel Intercontinental.

And these are not the first of such encounters... I have noticed that strangers would invariably single me out to ask directional questions from the crowd of people waiting at the train platform or bus stop, waiting to cross the road o walking down a street.

While I do answer all kinds of enquiries (including such directional questions) during the course of my work, it is interesting that I'm been asked such questions, even after office hours.

If there is a contest to vote for the person most likely to be asked for directions by strangers, I would be a likely champion :)

No comments: