Friday, 12 September 2008

Bad Work Week

My affinity with IT or electronic things has hit a new low this week. Firstly, my office PC hanged last Saturday and when I tried to restart it, it keeps saying there's a "disk read error". After rebooting the PC umpteenth times at the IT Helpdesk's advice, the technical officer finally came this Monday. Turns out the entire hard disk crashed. Good news is that the data files in D:\ are recovered; really bad news is that C:\ is corrupted and all files cannot be recovered... and most of my work files all these years are kept there!!

Resigned to the fate that what's lost is lost, I set out to re-do and finish my presentions and papers due this and next week. But...the IT drama continued...I'm unable to amend or delete files in the new hard disk (files become "read only"), the spell check system in my office email system cannot work ... and I can't even send out any emails! The poor technical officer came again and did some adjustments for an hour. However, the next day, my office email system took a long time to login and to send outgoing emails... hence yet, another call to the very friendly, very effervescent Technical Helpdesk officer. This time, another 2 technical officers came to do much checking & testing for over 2 hours. Well, email speed is much better than yesterday but was still slow compared to pre-crash days.

C'est la vie! This is the best so far after a whole week of IT problems .... now keeping my fingers crossed that things will get better next week. The IT guy will come again on Monday to do further checks and I hope things will be resolved. I also learnt from the technical staff that it's better to store files in data drive in D:\ than in C:\, as C:\ is more susceptible to disk failure due to the programme files stored there. Of course, the most foolproof way is to store a backup of important files elsewhere - in an external hard drive, thumb drive, email etc.

And oh, did I mention that the lens of my trusty digital camera failed to retract and is now jammed? Colleagues have advised me that it may cost a lot to repair it since the waranty has expired. Might even be cheaper to get a new model...so here's another item to buy soon...

To play it safe, I'm posting and uploading whatever photos I have in the recovered files...coz hey, the chances of the website host being down wihout a backup server is much more unlikely, right?

The only remotely good thing is that ever since colleagues heard about my hard disk crash (bad news tend to spread like wild fire) have realised the importance of getting an external hard drive, and are now voting to get one as a staff welfare gift.

PS: My Philips hair dryer in cool bronze colour had a short circuit & abruptly died on Friday night, so it seems to affirm my theory that I have a disharmony with electrical or electronic gadgets this week :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.